Things are moving ahead for discharge at the end of the week. Ella is doing much better on her new formula and if all goes well tonight she will be off her monitor in the morning. This will mean that we will be able to pick her up and take her out of the room, without being attached to a cord for the first time in her life. Lucy still can't get very far because her oxygen is attached to the wall. At home we will have portable oxygen with a lot of tubing.
The girls got a special immunization today for RSV designed specifically for pre-term babies. RSV is a common childhood respiratory illness that is like a bad cold for most children. It can be dangerous for babies and very dangerous for babies with chronic lung disease, like Ella and Lucy. Babies still die from RSV in Ontario every year. This immunization will be given once a month for the next four months to help protect the girls. The best protection will still be avoiding anyone with a cough or cold. Their lungs are very fragile and it will not take much for them to get sick, especially Lucy on her oxygen. While we are looking forward to introducing the girls to our friends and family, we are asking that you put off a visit until you are completely healthy.
As the days are getting closer to going home, we are getting more and more excited!
The girls got a special immunization today for RSV designed specifically for pre-term babies. RSV is a common childhood respiratory illness that is like a bad cold for most children. It can be dangerous for babies and very dangerous for babies with chronic lung disease, like Ella and Lucy. Babies still die from RSV in Ontario every year. This immunization will be given once a month for the next four months to help protect the girls. The best protection will still be avoiding anyone with a cough or cold. Their lungs are very fragile and it will not take much for them to get sick, especially Lucy on her oxygen. While we are looking forward to introducing the girls to our friends and family, we are asking that you put off a visit until you are completely healthy.
As the days are getting closer to going home, we are getting more and more excited!

3 Comments:
Hello from Chilliwack!
I just want to say hello and tell you how excited I am that you will all be going home very soon. You guys are all in our prayers, etc.
Lots of Love,
-Danielle (Fidge)
I am so excited to hear that you are closer to the EXIT sign. I remember all of those exciting feels and the TIREDNESS that comes with living away from home and in Care by Parent.
I know you are probably sick of advice, but from one NICU mom to another...I would forget about having visitors for at least the first 2 weeks (we did a month).
This will be the first time you and your hubby have been "alone" with the babies too. It is extra important to TRIAD (is it still called that when you have twins?) with you, hubby and babies. So, take the phone off the hook and take your time to answer the door because you deserve time to get back to your life. (I know that when we got home we were getting 50 messages a day...).
All the luck and love in the world! Thanks for sharing your memories with us.
Love,
Nancy, Jeremy and Xander McFadden
Hi Jonathan,Teresa and Girls
I am so happy that the time has come that you can bring your little bundles of joy home. We totally respect your privacy, but I want you to know if there is anything that we can do errands, drop off dinner, now, or 6 months down the road or whenever just call us. How does the line go "don't call us we'll call you" and I hope there is something I can do sometime.Sending hugs via the blog from the Raycraft's.
Post a Comment
<< Home