Through The Waters

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you. Isaiah 43:2a The journey of Ella and Lucy.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

One year ago today, our journey through the waters truly began. I went the hospital in the morning for my routine 24 week ultrasound. I was hopeful that I would be able to find out if the babies were boys or girls. Nothing could have prepared us for what we did find out. After the ultrasound, the technician left to consult with the radiologist, and when he returned, he said that my OB wanted to see me. I was still not very concerned, but when the wheelchair showed up outside the exam room, I started to get nervous. When the OB met me at the door of the maternity floor and wheeled me into a room himself, I got a lot more nervous.



He told me that my cervix was starting to shorten and that pre-term labour was threatened. An ambulance had been ordered and I was to be sent to London as soon as possible. I was reeling, everything changed very suddenly and dramatically. I was able to call Johnathon, and he came right away to the hospital. I received a steriod shot to help mature the babies' lungs. I was then loaded unto a stretcher and taken to London.



At that point I was twenty three weeks and five days pregnant. That is the very minimum threshold of life for a baby. Over the next few days, I would learn that if the babies were born right away there was a forty percent chance of survival, and if the babies survived, there was a forty percent chance that they would be neurologically intact. I also learned that I was absolutely going to deliver early as my cervix had started to open. We were told that every day the babies stayed put would make a big difference. Every hour became a victory. While it was not very fun being on bedrest, it was the only place I could possibly be. We had hoped that I would not go into labour until I was at least twenty eight weeks pregnant, but on September fourth, at twenty five weeks and four days, the next phase of our journey through the waters began.



Through the last year of hospitals and uncertainty, Johnathon has been an absolute rock. He visited me everyday in the hospital and never missed a day of seeing the girls. Johnathon always pushed for answers and action in the NICU, he changed his share of dirty diapers, and he kept our spirits up on the difficult days. He is an incredible husband and father. I could not have made it through the last year without him by my side.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your family has been through so much this past year!!! those babies are miracles!! if anyone ever needs proof of the power of prayer and positive thought-- you just have to look into the eyes of those little girls!!
love tracey, mark and kayla

1:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home